The ongoing Coronavirus pandemic has been affecting millions of lives and businesses across the world. With the global economy disrupted and hugely impacted by the COVID-19 outbreak, organizations worldwide have no other choice than to embark on the path of accelerated digital transformation. DevOps has become crucial and integral to a business’s success more than ever. The unprecedented and rapid change in the business landscape has led to the technology evolving at the lightning speed, and with the emerging technology DevOps has also evolved to suit the modern business needs.
Some of the emerging DevOps trends expected to impact and reshape the business landscape in the future are:
1. Rise in Popularity and Demand for Microservices Architecture: Microservice architecture can independently connect fragments of units. This enables DevOps to focus only on the individual units where it is utmost required for rapid delivery of complex applications. The DevOps and Microservices architecture combined together helps enterprises save cost, time, and resources.
Benefits of the Microservices Architecture approach for enterprises:
- Cost-effective, easy maintenance and testing
- Flexible and scalable
- Easily and independently deployable
- Customizable as per business capabilities
- Can be managed by a small team
2. Increased adoption of DevSecOps solutions: The remote-work setup with people working from across all locations due to COVID has opened the door for security vulnerabilities. With such exposed security and cyber attack risks, there is a need for injecting security into every layer of business operation. To bring security into DevOps, businesses will have to adopt a DevSecOps process.
Benefits of adopting DevSecOps for enterprises:
- Rapid response to changing needs
- Better agility for security
- Application security testing
- Automated quality assurance testing
- Vulnerability assessment
- Early detection and mitigation of vulnerabilities
- Better communication between teams
3. Advancement in Infrastructure Automation (IA) tools: By adopting and implementing infrastructure automation and a continuous delivery model, DevOps teams can plan and execute hassle-free self-service, while providing automated delivery services on the on-premises and IaaS environments. This in turn helps enterprises with customer-focused agility and robust improvements.
Benefits of Infrastructure Automation (IA) for enterprises:
- Greater efficiency and accuracy with automated workflows
- Reduction in staffing cost
- Better reliability with regular and faster updates
- Enhanced collaboration between teams
4. Cutting-edge Predictive Analytics in DevOps and AIOps: Predictive Analytics plays an important role in preventing latency and managing the changing user needs. Leveraging Predictive Analytics in DevOps and AIOps enables organizations to build continuous improvement focus on the DevOps services. This provides the Infrastructure and Operations teams with a deeper insight into the resources and services being used. In addition, it also provides insights on how resources and services could likely be used in the future for the best outcome.
Benefits of Predictive Analytics in DevOps and AIOps for enterprises:
- Reduced unplanned downtime
- Improved asset utilization
- Better maintenance and performance of your assets
- Quick software delivery with better quality
5. AgileOps for Improved Agility: Hybrid and multi-cloud strategies have been the foundation of a business’s growth and success in the last few years. These multi-cloud strategies allow enterprises to host applications as per their specific business requirements, seamlessly and efficiently. AgileOps is an IT operating model that embraces the principles of Agile to develop agile ways of working and craft unique digital businesses.
Benefits of Predictive Analytics in DevOps and AIOps for enterprises:
- Delivery of better-quality, higher-performing applications
- Greater application speed
- Maximized stability
- Eliminate delays through cross-functional teams
6. Artificial intelligence and Machine Learning-Driven DevOps Approach: Data is being generated at a lightning speed and in various forms today. For organizations that still resort to traditional ways and outdated technologies, it’s challenging and time-consuming to handle massive volumes and variety of data and computing on a daily basis in their daily operations. AI and ML-driven DevOps approach helps organizations with computing and analyzing data of any size and scale. It also facilitates their workflow transforming the way teams develop, deliver, deploy, and manage applications efficiently.
Benefits of AI and ML-driven DevOps approach for enterprises:
- Increased agility
- Optimized DevOps environment
- Shortened releases
- Deliver improved customer experiences
- Improved automation
- Improved collaboration between teams
- Quick identification and resolution of issues
7. Integration of Kubernetes with DevOps: Kubernetes allows developers to share their dependencies and software with IT operations. This helps to streamline building, testing, and deploying pipelines in DevOps Managed Services. It provides the tool to respond to the changing customer demands and shifts the burden of running the applications on the cloud. Kubernetes also eliminates manual tasks involved in deploying and scaling containerized applications and enables organizations transitioning from one environment to another with smooth and secure software functioning.
Benefits of Kubernetes in DevOps for enterprises:
- Supports multiple frameworks
- Provides streamlined and regular updates
- Canary deployment
- Horizontal auto-scaling
- Customized solution for development, testing, and production environment
- Drives continuous enhancement
- Improve scalability
- Increase developer’s productivity
- Reduced time for onboarding new application
8. Inclusion of Cloud Management Platforms (CMPs) on a large scale: Adoption of cloud management platform (CMP) for DevOps provides organizations with the perfect tool to gain visibility into their cloud deployments. It also enables the organizations to control and monitor their cloud computing resources.
Benefits of Cloud Management Platforms (CMPs) adoption for enterprises:
- Better control of cloud environments
- Optimization of costs, performance, and resources
- Enhancement of security
- Provisioning and orchestration
- Improving cloud security
DevOps is one of the best solutions for organizations to enable agility, increase quality, and reduce time to market. But to bring greater impact in the changing market needs, DevOps needs to upgrade and integrate modern tools and techniques from time to time. After careful consideration of the DevOps trends and predictions in 2021, it won’t be wrong to say that in an all-digital world the future of DevOps lies in self-service capabilities, designing hybrid architecture, edge prioritizing, AI and ML integration, and becoming cloud-centric.